Tuesday 15 May 2012

Calderdale Really 2012 Leg 2

Mixed feelings about our run. After a night out on the Friday I've come to the conclusion that I really can't hack booze any longer! What I would have downed 20 years ago most nights in the Navy now brings me pathetically to my knees; Saturday was written off. An early start on Sunday morning still saw me tired but after a warm up we got the baton in sixth place and I seemed to be moving okay. Andy seemed to be on the verge of hyperventilating and not quite getting going but as we got onto the tops heading towards Studley Pike he really got going and I had a very hard time keeping up. Fortunately I was descending better and I got a bit of a breather dropping down to London Road. We had passed two pairs so far and we were just in touch with Todmorden, well maybe a minute behind. If they went wrong we could maybe catch them? Instead we went wrong, Instead of dropping down to the church at Salford we managed to contrive to add an extra few hundred yards and a few of those stop start, double back and head scratching episodes. Preston caught us up and unfortunately followed us in our little misadventure. Anyway Andy shot up the next climb and now I was hyperventilating, my had was throbbing and my legs were jelly! We dropped the Preston pair okay and the final descent I stretched away from Andy and with encouragement from club mates handed over to the next pair.

They promptly got lost!

I've given up drinking again!

No comments:

Post a Comment